Article Index

 

1950

No. 4 Fire Station rebuilt at Monroe and Bancroft.

1951

Karl B. Scheidler Chief of Division

New No. 6 Fire Station erected at Starr and Euclid; old station abandoned (Opened March 12)

1952

Arnold F. Papenhagen Chief of Division

1953

New No. 1 Fire Station erected at Huron and Orange; old Station No. 2 and No. 3 abandoned (opened May 18); designation of original No. 1 Station changed to No. 3.

August 1: No.3, No. 16, No. 17 Ladder Companies moved to No. 12, No. 15, and No. 4, respectively; No. 7 District Chief moved to No. 17 and No. 4 District Chief moved to No. 16.

1961

May 1: No. 6 Rescue Squad placed in service at No. 6 Station

June 10: the worst day in the history of the Toledo Fire Division occurred at a gasoline truck explosion on the Anthony Wayne Trail which killed four firemen (six were seriously injured) and injured 81 civilians.

1962

January 1: Firefighters’ hours reduced to 54 hours per week.

June 10: Maumee Chemical Company explosion; 10 civilians killed, 40 civilians injured

1963

June 10: Fire Fighter memorial dedicated.

1964

March: Fire Department widow’s pension raised to $90.00 per month

March 11: No. 14 Fire Station at Lagrange and Everett Streets, closed 7:00 A.M.

March 11: No. 25 Fire Station at Central and Meadowwood opened

March 15: Fifteen new men appointed for No. 26 Fire Station; division strength increased from 487 men to 502

March 17: No. 26 Fire Station opened at Airport and Byrne; station obtained from Adams Township by annexation

December: Fire Prevention Code adopted by City Council and added to the Toledo Municipal Code

December 28: No. 14 Fire Station opened. This station was obtained from Adams Township by annexation. It was formerly known as Adams Township No. 1, located at Reynolds and Hess. Fifteen new men were appointed for No. 14 Fire Station; strength increased to 517

1965

January 25: No. 23 Fire Station located at Central and Oatis closed at 7:00 A.M. and relocated at Trilby Volunteer Station at Secor Road near Alexis, by annexation of Washington Township.

Clothing allowance increased to $100.00 per year.

No. 19 Station located at Stickney and Ketcham was closed and relocated at the new station on Stickney opposite the Kaiser plant.

1966

March 1: fifteen privates were promoted to Lieutenants to serve as relief officers.

March 11: No. 23 Company moved to their new quarters at Laskey and Goodwill at 7:00 a.m. and the old volunteer station on Secor closed.

$5000.00 group life insurance program started; clothing allowance increased to $150.00 annually and a $325.00 flat raise granted.

November: 1/2 Penny for Progress Levy passed by voters, enabling City Council to appropriate funds for the replacement of four Fire Stations; officers appointed for ladder trucks.

1967

January 2: authorized strength increased to 541 men

No. 5 Rescue Squad placed in service at No. 25

July 21: thirty new firemen appointed; strength increased to 571 men

The new position of Administrative Deputy Chief was created and a new district created

July: riots hit Toledo; one firefighter killed, many injured; record number of alarms answered

September 13: new No. 11 Fire Station opened located on Airport and Seymour. Old No. 26 Station located on S. Byrne and Airport to be used by the Fire Prevention Bureau

December 26: New No. 12 Station opened on Suder near Manhattan Boulevard; old No. 12 Station located on Summit at Cleveland closed and turned over to the Division of Parks

1968

Fire Division placed on 52-hour work week.

March: Toledo’s first fireboat, the "Ewald Bode," placed in service

April 17: No. 5 Station at Broadway and Logan closed; new No. 5 Station at Ontario and Washington opened with #5 Pumper, #8 Pumper, and #5 Ladder; No. 8 Fire Station closed.

July 1: Chief A. F. Papenhagen retired

July 4: Chief Eulan G. Tucker appointed Chief

August: Fire Department Shop moved from Indiana and Division to the Municipal Garage on Albion Street. Position of water officer established.

1969

March 26: No. 2 pumper put out of service, men reassigned; No. 8 pumper put out of service, men reassigned

April 1: Two-man emergency units placed in service at No. 6, 15, 23, 24, and 25 Fire Stations

June 1; eight new pumpers ordered for Fire Division. Deputy Chiefs placed in charge of four bureaus:

No.1 Training and Maintenance

No.2 Fire Prevention

No.3 Communication and Special Services

No.4 Fire Extinguishment and Rescue

July 1: Radiological Monitoring Unit established with fifteen members

October 31: No. 7 Fire Station rebuilt at Franklin and Bancroft

1970

June 11, 1970: No. 4 Fire Station at Monroe and Bancroft closed; building turned over to Board of Community Relations

1971

July 1: new No. 4 Fire Station at 3940 Hill Avenue opened. No. 12 ladder out of service; tactical units in service

1972

October: year-round program on fire safety in the Toledo Schools with Fireman Freddy started

1973

April 19: first woman applied to become city firefighter

April 20: Fire Training Center opened at Toledo Express Airport

August 7: Fire Division acquired two amphibious Larks from the United States Government

1974

April 29, 1974: civilian employee, confidential secretary to the chief appointed

1975

January 1: seven mini-size pumpers (scats) placed in service

February 7: Firefighters went on an 8 hour day, three shifts, forty-hour work week

May 7: Tiedtke’s Department Store burned at Summit and Adams Streets

May 5: two emergency Life Squads placed in service

Old No. 18 Fire Station at Sylvania and Peak Avenues closed; new No. 18 at 5225 Lewis Avenue opened

November 7: Voters passed charter amendment allowing Council to regulate firefighter hours

1976

February 6, 1976: maintenance shop moved to Wall Street Armory

March 4: Firefighters end eight hour shift, forty-hour week and return to a 24 hours on, 48 hours off, 52- hour work week

March 5: twelve firefighters laid off, reducing strength to 554

April 17: Chief Eulan G. Tucker retired

April 18: Deputy Chief Raymond G. Seelman named Acting Chief

May 1: third Life Squad placed in service Fire Station at No.18

October 15: Carl W. Neeb appointed as Chief of the Fire Division

November: Firefighters work week reduced to 50 hours, effective 1-1-77

December 1, 1976: New Training Facility opened across from the Toledo Express Airport

 

Toledo's Attic and all contents herein are to be used for educational and scholarly purposes. U.S. and international copyright laws protect digital contents in this collection. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. Toledo's Attic by www.toledosattic.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.toledosattic.org.