Necrology of Toledo's Woodlawn Cemetery
Jefferson D. Robinson
Robinson was born in Richmond, Virginia on July 19, 1861. He came to Toledo in 1880. He worked as an office boy and messenger for the president of the Libbey Glass Manufacturing Company. He steadily advanced through the company until he became its president in 1920. During his career he was involved in all the stages of the companys growth.
Besides being an outstanding businessman, Robinson was well-known as a philanthropic leader of Toledo. He was the president of the Toledo Newsboys' Association and a trustee and active worker in the building and financing of The Toledo Hospital. He led the Community Chest, for many years one of the most successful welfare organizations of its kind in the country. After he retired from that organization, Robinson devoted himself to the Toledo Newsboys' Association. With personal funds, he remodeled the Newsboy's building. This remodeling was followed by a revival of the Newsboys' activities. He also privately encouraged many former newsboys by contributing to their education. Several became well-known artists and professional men.
Robinson was also a member of many fraternal and welfare organizations, including the Sanford Collins Lodge, the Toledo Chamber of Commerce, the Merchants' and Manufacturers' Association, and the Rotary Club.
In 1891 he was married to Mary Hahn who died in 1927. Their son, Joseph W. was the executive vice-president of the Libbey Glass Manufacturing Co., and Jefferson D. Jr., was a member of the board of directors of the company. Robinson died after a heart attack on November 7, 1929.[John Killits, Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio 1623-1923. vol. 3 (Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1923), 181. See also The Blade, November 8, 1929 and Toledo News Bee, November 8, 1929].
Jefferson D. Robinson's grave
(Photography of Woodlawn Cemetery by Josef Schneider.)