Robert Pew (1862-1925), Pioneer
Robert Pew grew up in Pennsylvania where his uncle, Joseph Pew, started his oil business in the 1870's. In 1886, Joseph sent Robert to Ohio to investigate that state's oil potential. Acting on Robert's enthusiastic report, Joseph acquired two oil drilling leases in Findley Township . Robert oversaw the operation, which shipped crude oil in wooden barrels on mule wagons from Findley to Toledo for refining. The business grew and in 1890, Joseph Pew and his partner, Edward Emerson, incorporated the Sun Oil Company. Robert remained in charge of Ohio operations. He was vice president of Sun and director or Toledo operations when he died in Perrysburg at age 63. Robert was also a director of the Toledo Trust Co., president of United Malleable Iron Company, and vice president of Toledo Traveler's Life Insurance Company.
Sara Kaufman (1868-1941), Volunteer
An Ohio native, Sara grew up in Bryon, where she attended public school. She later moved with her family to Toledo, where she worked at Lamson's department store downtown. In 1905 she began volunteering at a settlement house run by the Toledo Council of Jewish Women. She was hired by the Lucas County Probate Court as a juvenile court probation officer in 1909. She held this position for 31 years, practicing her belief that "there are no bad children; only misunderstood children". She helped organize the Banner Boys Club for Jewish boys in 1907. She was a founding member of the local Travelers' Aid Society and on the board of the Florence Crittenton Home for unwed mothers. She was also vice president of the Toledo Girl Scouts and an early vocal supporter of the NAACP.
Edwin Dodd (1919-2001)
Dodd was born in West Virginia, the oldest of three children, and grew up in Morgantown, Ithaca, and Columbus, Ohio . He attended Ohio State University and Harvard University 's Business School . During World War II, he served as an information and education officer for General MacArthur's staff. In 1946 he became a sales trainee for Owens-Illinois, but was soon transferred to the public relations department. He became public relations director four years later. By 1954, he was a production manager for the Libbey Glass division. In 1968 he became president and chief operating officer. He became chief executive officer in 1972 and chairman and CEO in 1976. He retired in 1984. Dodd played a major role in efforts to revitalize downtown Toledo during the 1970's. When Owens-Illinois outgrew its headquarters in 1981, it built a new 32-story headquarters downtown. Dodd was named to national posts by four U.S. Presidents. In 1983, he served on the President's Commission on Industrial Competitiveness under President Reagan. President Carter appointed him to the President's National Commission on Air Quality. He served on President Ford's Executive Finance Committee in 1976, and was appointed by President Nixon to the National Industrial Pollution Control Council. Locally, Dodd was active in many civic causes. He served as president to the Toledo Museum of Art, the Toledo Board of Education, and the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority. He was a founding member of the Northwest Ohio Chapter of the Public Relations Committee of America in 1951.
Duane Stranahan, Senior (1903-1998)
Duane Stranahan was born in Massachusetts, the only son of Frank Stranahan, who formed the Champion Spark Plug Company with his brother Robert in 1908. His family moved to Toledo in 1910 when Champion relocated nearer Detroit 's budding automotive industry. Stranahan graduated from Scott High School and received an English Literature degree from Harvard University . He worked in several departments of Champion in the 1930's. He directed aviation research and production, and developed a ceramic spark plug used extensively in World War II aircraft. Following the war, he guided Champion's move into the general aviation industry. Stranahan retired in 1973 after 46 years with Champion. Stranahan obtained his pilot's license in 1930 and was an avid pilot. He was a member of the Toledo Aviation Commission, which opened Toledo Metropolitan Airport to commercial use, and also served as chair of the development committee for Toledo Express Airport . With his wife, Virginia, he started a family foundation in 1956 called the Needmor Fund. This contributed $3.2 million to local community efforts before it moved to Colorado in 1982. He also managed the larger Stranahan Foundation from the 1960's to the 1980's with his cousin, Robert. The Stranahan Foundation donated $2 million in 1966 for the Community Services Building, and $2 million to the University of Toledo in 1981 for the business administration building. With the family of W.W. Knight, he donated 42 acres in Perrysburg for Woodlands Park in 1973. In addition, he chaired the Toledo War Chest, the Greater Toledo Community Chest's budget committee, and the University of Toledo 's research foundation. He was a trustee of Toledo Hospital and chairman of the hospital's Institute of Medical Research .