The University of Toledo (marker, front)Location: East of Campus Road, S of Bancroft Street, on walkway east of Libbey Hall

[No Google Street view for this marker, approximate only]

Text (Main Campus, 27-48, front): The Toledo University of Arts and Trades was established in 1872 with an endowment of 160 acres of land from Jesup W. Scott, local pioneer, publisher, and real estate broker. Scott envisioned Toledo as the "Future Great City of the World" and wanted an institution to train young people to fulfill their roles in the city’s bright future.

Image Credit: Remarkable Ohio, The University of Toledo (main campus marker (27-48)  More images


University of Toledo (main campus marker, back)


Text (Main Campus, 27-48, back): The University changed its name several times — to the Manual Training School (1884), The Polytechnic School (1900), and The University of the City of Toledo (1921). It changed locations many times as well, until President Henry Doerman brought it to this location in 1931. The University was supported by the city from 1883 to 1967, when it joined Ohio’s system of state universities.


 Image Credit: Remarkable Ohio, The University of Toledo (main campus marker (27-48)  More images





Toledo's Attic and all contents herein are to be used for educational and scholarly purposes. U.S. and international copyright laws protect digital contents in this collection. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. Toledo's Attic by is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at