Edwin F. Damschroder, Sr.
Edwin F. Damschroder Sr., was born in Elmore, Ohio, in 1884. As a youth he worked as a sales representative for the St. Francis Hat Company of Baltimore, Maryland. His sales district extended from Kansas City to the West Coast. In 1916 he came to Toledo and founded the Damschroder Clothing Company. In 1920 H.E. Berry became a partner and the company name was changed to Damschroder-Berry, Inc. The new company moved from St. Clair and Adams Streets to 311 Superior Street. In 1956 Berry retired and the company name was changed back to Damschroder Incorporated. Edwin F. Damschroder remained president of the company until his death in 1959.
Damschroder was married for fifty-three years to Bertha Damschroder. They had three sons and two daughters. Edwin F. Jr., served as the secretary-treasurer of his father's company, however, Damschroder's other children were never involved with the daily operation of the company. Damschroder had five grandchildren at the time of his death in July 1959 at St. Vincent's Hospital. He was 75 years old.("Edwin F. Damschroder, Sr.," Toledo Blade, 30 July 1959.) The Damschroder store still exists as the Damschroder Suit Connection.
Edwin F. Damschroder, Sr.'s grave
(Photography of Woodlawn Cemetery by Josef Schneider.)