Necrology of Toledo's Woodlawn Cemetery
Charles H. Breyman
During the late nineteenth century, the Breyman name became closely associated with the marine contracting business in Toledo. The family owned and family operated G. H. Breyman Dredging Company played an important role in the city's development. George H. Breyman organized and presided over the company. His son, Charles H. Breyman, took over the business in 1910 when his father, at age 68, died in an automobile crash in Perrysburg Ohio.
Born in Toledo on March 10, 1866, Charles Breyman attended local public schools and then went to college at Columbia University where he earned the degree of Civil Engineer in 1889. He returned home after graduate to take a position with the Breyman Dredging Company. A year later, he accepted the appointment of assistant city engineer. During the ten years Charles Breyman oversaw the city sewer system and aided in the construction of the early foundation of the present system.
Between 1907-1917 Charles Breyman was associated with the Breyman ONeil Contracting Company. In 1917 he joined the G.H. Breyman and Brothers Company. While with the family company, the business became one of the leading dredging contractors in the country. Charles also served as a director of the National Dairy Company.
Charles married Mae Stevens, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P.M. Stevens, a prominent Toledo family, on April 23, 1892. They were the parents of two children, Marie and William, who served in World War I. Charles Breyman circulated in numerous social circles including the Toledo Yacht Club, Toledo Automobile Club, Toledo Country Club, and the Toledo and Inverness Clubs. He also supported the Republican party. The family resided at 2229 Parkwood Avenue, in center of the city's premier neighborhood.
Charles H. Breyman died on March 2, 1945 and Mae Breyman passed away three years later in May of 1948. Both are buried in a lakeside mausoleum at Woodlawn Cemetery. [Toledo Biography Scrapbook (Boyd-Brid), Local History Collection, Toledo/Lucas County Public Library and The Blade, 6 March 1946.]
The Breyman family mausoleum
(Photography of Woodlawn Cemetery by Josef Schneider.)