The roots of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Toledo can be traced back more than a century to the Toledo Newsboys Association begun by John Gunckel in 1892. Although the name of the organization has changed on more than one occasion, the mission has remained the same. [Read the complete article]
The Original Club consisted of the Toledo and Lake Erie Boating and Fishing Association (1874-1894) and the renamed Middle Bass Club (1894-1922). The prominent Toledo families that started the Original Club and remained members for a number of years include: Barbers, Barbours, Baumgardners, Berdans, Bodmans, Bonds, Burdicks, Childs’s, Collins’s, Coltons, Curtis’s, Cummings, Davis’s, Dodges, Doyles, Goslines, Hamiltons, Hardees, Isherwoods, Kelseys, Ketchams, Lockes, Poes, Potters, Rodgers’s, Shoemakers, Smiths, Standarts, Stars, Stevens, Swaynes, Taylors, Waites and Youngs to name a few. [Read the complete essay]
Toledo Art Museum and Public Library - images of the Toledo Museum of Art and the Public Library (then and now)
Images of health facilities
Images of court buildings, post offices, and other government functions such as waterworks.
Images of events, city views, street life, and even a futuristic model of Toledo from 1945.
The Rotary Club of Toledo was founded on May 3, 1912. The Club, which was the forty-fourth in the world, was initially sponsored by the Detroit Rotary Club. The first Rotary meetings were held at the Toledo Chamber of Commerce, as well as at the Boody House in Toledo. In the first years of its existence, the Toledo Rotary Club helped the Rotary Club grow in Northwest Ohio and Southeastern Michigan, sponsoring new clubs in Lima, OH (1915), Fostoria, OH (1920), Findlay, OH (1920), and Defiance, MI (1920), and Adrian, MI (1921). [Read the complete article]
As 1989 was the 100th anniversary of thre founbding of The Toledo Club, it was felt that it owuld appropriate to publish a commemorative book. As the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Club approahed, a committee was formed to celebrate the event. I [Carl N. White] volunteered to write the history book with the intention of distributing copies to all who arttended The Toledo Club's 100th Anniversary celebration on September 9, 1989. [Read the complete book, which was shared with Toledo's Attic with the author's permission]
The Toledo Hearing and Speech Center served Toledo's deaf and hearing impaired community for nearly a century. Originally founded in 1920 as the Toledo League for the Hard of Hearing, the organization provided hearing tests, sign language lessons, speech therapy and hearing aids until 2014. [Read the complete article]
The Toledo Humane Society formed on January 29, 1884 and incorporated on February 14, 1884 , following meetings held at the Richard Mott's Home and Toledo Produce Exchange in Downtown Toledo in December of 1883. A few prominent business and city leaders, including Merchants’ and Manufacturers’ Exchange, met to propose the formation of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and Animals “to provide for the care and support of innocent children; for the protection of helpless children from the brutal-minded; for the care and comfort of aged parents; for over-worked, underfed and abused horses; and for the protection of all dumb animals.” [Read the complete article]
The famous city walls of the city were begun during Roman rule and were completed after the Moors took control. Many of the original buildings from the Roman and Moorish eras have not survived. Currently, only the Mezquita del Cristo de la Luz (Mosque of Our Lord of Light), which was built in the 10th century and is the oldest structure in the city, still stands. [Read the complete article]
Sister city relationship with Toledo, Ohio, 1934.
The period photograph shows Toledo, Spain, at the time of receiving the first delegation from Toledo, Ohio.
Source: Fondo Fotográfico Casa Rodríguez (1878-1984), preserved at the at Archivo Histórico Provincial de Toledo