jeep

 

Location: Jeep Pkwy, Toledo

Locate on Google Map

Text: In 1909, John North Willys moved the Overland Auto Co. from Indianapolis to the former Pope-Toledo plant on Central Avenue. As Willys-Overland, the company expanded its facilities and ranked second in annual auto production nationwide from 1912 to 1916. Here were developed and produced various models of the Overland, Willys-Knight, Whippet, Willys, and Jeep vehicles.

In 1940, Willys engineer Delmar "Barney" Roos, developed a prototype for a rugged, lightweight vehicle for the Army. Production began in 1941. Of the 651,068 Jeeps produced during World War II, Toledo’s Willys-Overland Motors assembled 57% of them, one every 1 1/3 minutes. By the war’s end (1945) the versatile Jeep (General Purpose Vehicle) was known the world over.  Chrysler had occupied the plant until 2006 when it came down. 

 

contentmap_plugin

Toledo's Attic and all contents herein are to be used for educational and scholarly purposes. U.S. and international copyright laws protect digital contents in this collection. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. Toledo's Attic by www.toledosattic.org is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.toledosattic.org.