Your Gateway to Toledo and Northwest Ohio History

Toledo's Attic Facebook Page Toledo's Attic on Instagram Toledo's Attic on Pinterest Toledo's Attic on YouTube RSS Feed

East Toledo (15-48)

15-48 East Toledo 






 15-48 East Toledo







Location: Originally located in the park between Main and Platt streets on the vacated 1st Street, Toledo, the marker has been permanently removed. [Google Street View]

Original Text, Side A: East Toledo, early home of Ottawa Indians and originally part of Oregon Township, was annexed to the city in 1853. Peter Navarre, fur trader and War of 1812 scout, was a well-known pioneer resident. A post office named Utah was established in 1851 and located on Front Street near Oak Street, then the commercial center of the East Side.

 Original Text, Side B: Toledo’s first public bridge over the Maumee River was a privately financed toll operation which opened in 1865 and joined Cherry and Main streets. A gala celebration in 1872 marked the city’s purchase of the bridge and lifting of its tolls. Free access to this vital river crossing stimulated further development and rapid growth of East Toledo.